Are you looking for a quick and easy starter? Look no further. Here is my recipe for mini sausage rolls. It makes 24 rolls.
If you are a vegetarian, you could substitute the meat for carrots, courgettes and oats.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons Ras El Hanout (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 800g lamb mince
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chilli sauce
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, partially thawed, halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until onion has softened. Add cumin, coriander, chilli flakes, Ras El Hanout, salt, pepper and 2 teaspoons paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add mince, breadcrumbs, 1 egg and chilli sauce to onion mixture. Mix until combined. Shape 1/2 cup mince mixture into a sausage shape. Cut each pastry sheet Place along 1 long side of 1 pastry half. Brush opposite edge with a little of the remaining egg. Roll up pastry, starting from mince side, to enclose filling. Cut into 4 pieces. Place, seam-side down, on prepared trays. Repeat with remaining mince mixture, pastry and egg to make 24 rolls.
- Combine sesame seeds and remaining paprika in a small bowl. Brush pastry tops with remaining egg. Sprinkle with sesame mixture. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, swapping trays halfway through cooking time, or until golden and puffed. Stand for 5 minutes.